D.I.Y. Address Planter Box

Many of my Instagram and Facebook friends along with our neighbors have asked about this D.I.Y. project turned win for me.  I saw a tutorial video on HGTV for a succulent address planter box and thought it looked easy enough, so I gave it a go.  Our address numbers sit far back on the left side of our home near the garage, making it difficult for visitors (including the pizza delivery guy/gal) to see .  This was an easy fix and I am so beyond thrilled with how this project turned out.  In fact, I am thinking about making more, either as gifts or selling them on Etsy.  Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to make one for your home!

Step One:

Go shopping for all of your supplies.  The first stop I made was at a local floral supply store called Sequoia Floral here in Santa Rosa.  I bought the faux succulents there along with a bulk bag of green moss and the gray-toned wooded box (same ones we used for our wedding centerpieces).  Side note – the tutorial called for a plain wooden box that they painted to match the back board, but I wanted a different texture and slightly mismatched look, so I snagged the gray wooden box from Sequoia.  For the floral pieces, I picked five faux succulents (yay no watering or plant food) that I thought went well together.  Here’s the link to Michael’s where you can find similar floral pieces – Buy these succulents!  Tip – always do floral arrangements in odd numbers…1, 3, 5, etc.

For the paint color and lettering I stopped by Lowe’s and decided to splurge on a more modern look for the address numbers.  Each number was $5.98 a piece, but worth every penny in my book to achieve my desired look – Buy these numbers!.  I found my address numbers in the local store, but online has more finish options to choose from.  I decided on the satin nickel finish for my project.  The paint is Olympia outdoor paint.  I can’t remember the color name but I tried to match the front door as much as possible with a darker gray shade.  Paint tip – make sure to get outdoor paint so it’s weather proof!

For the back piece, I went to the lumber section @ Lowe’s and selected a pre-cut piece of wood that I though worked for size.  Here is my best guess for the size that I used (1-in x 4-in x 10-ft; Actual: 0.75-in x 3.5-in x 10-ft – Whitewood Board) – Buy this wooden board!  I used Titebond wood glue to secure everything and so far, so good – Get this glue!!  Here’s my inventory of supplies, pre-assembly:

17190904_643622729171_2555142355302971817_n

Step Two:

Assembly time!  I measured the size of my planter box on my base board and traced the outline.  I only painted a little over the lines that I traced and let the majority of the square unpainted in order to allow for more bonding strength.  Tip – make sure to nail in your picture hanging bar on the back before gluing anything on the front.  Blonde moment – I didn’t do that and had to re-glue a few numbers because of the hammering…how embarrassing!

17191531_643622744141_4433886730638289780_n

I did a two coats of paint on the front and sides with a little overlap on the back for coverage, then let it dry for a few hours before continuing.  I glued the planter box first, then the numbers.  Let your letters and planter box cure for at least 24 hours before moving anything around.  You want to make sure everything is completely secure before hanging.

Side note – if you get a plain box and decide to match it to the color of the back board, paint both pieces together so they dry at the same time.  Leave the majority of the back of the box unpainted in order to allow for better bonding on the plain wood square you left.

17155882_643622774081_5020115111831231590_n

Step Three (the last one!)

Hang your finished board on the front of your home.  I used a picture hook and strong nail to get the job done, then I played with arranging my succulents.  I put moss in the planter first to build volume and randomly placed my succulents until I was happy with the look.  Wah-la!

 

All in all, it was a pretty simple project to make.  Total cost was about $75, but keep in mind that I splurged on the numbers and a few of the faux succulent pieces (like the gold one!).  If you dare to DIY, share your pics so I can see your creation.  Happy crafting!

XO,

Amanda

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s